Staying Focused & Motivated
This isn’t what you are going to want to hear, but working from home is not for everyone. Sure, most everybody wants to do it. It has a lot of fantastic benefits, so who wouldn’t want to work from home. However, not everybody has the focus to be able to do it without distractions pulling them away from their work. Learning how to stay focused while working at home is something most everybody can benefit from.
If you can’t stay focused to get the work done you need to get done during the day, then you are going to fail. I don’t want to see anybody fail. If working from home and being your own boss is a dream you have then I want to see you succeed at it.
Learning how to stay focused while working at home is going to be one of the themes of Earn Your Success. This page is going to be the flagship article of the theme, but be sure to check out any future blog posts for additional information on this subject.
How To Stay Focused While Working At Home
- Designate A Dedicated Work Space: Obviously working from a laptop on your couch, kitchen table, or even your bed is one of the appealing things and a benefit of working from home. But you still should have a designated work area where you keep all you notes, files, tools and other work related items. When not working you should keep everything in that location. Don’t scatter your work all over the house. I have a small at home office/library where I do 90% of my work online. If I go work from my recliner on my laptop I make sure I am putting my work items back in my office when I am not working.
- Avoid Getting Caught Up In Social Media: If you are one of those people that loves cruising through Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Google Plus, or any of the other social media sites, you are going to struggle horribly when you work at home. Social media sites are the number one distraction people face when working at home. You’re certainly going to be working on your computer when working from home, and it’s real easy to quickly bring up your Facebook page. Don’t do it. You have to be strong and NOT let that happen. How to stay focused while working at home means staying off social media for personal reasons. It’s one thing to share a blog post to your business’ Pinterest page, and something entirely different to loose two hours of your day looking at ‘cat cucumber’ videos on YouTube.
- Keep A Work Schedule: What!? Part of working from home means working when you want to, right? Yes, that is true, however, we all have times when we are at our most productive. For me it’s usually between 8A.M. and 1P.M. when I really can focus and knock out some serious work. Maybe you are more a mid-morning person, or an early afternoon person. Know when you tend to be at your most productive and schedule that as your work time.
- Take Breaks: One of the hardest things I had to learn to do was to take breaks. It’s okay to get away from the computer screen every couple hours and get a drink of water or a fresh cup of coffee. Maybe check the current news headlines (avoid your social media) or take a brisk walk. Just make sure you don’t walk away from your work for more than twenty minutes when taking a break. Studies show that people who work at home have a harder time getting back to work and focusing when they take breaks longer than twenty minutes. Learning how to stay focused while working at home means knowing certain limits.
- Get out of Your PJs: Being able to wear what you want when working is a wonderful perk for those working at home. However, studies show that people who change out of their PJs in the morning into other attire tends to put their mind in a different state where they can focus on work more readily. I know that some days I can get a lot done straight out of bed before showering and getting dressed for the day. Other days I like a hot shower and to dress before starting any work.
- Create A Schedule: One of the best ways to stay on track when working for yourself at home is to create a work schedule. You know there are certain things that must get done during the day. Your first action of the day should be to create a schedule or checklist of the things you know without a doubt you need to complete. Sometimes I make this list at the end of my work day in preparation for what I need to do the next day. Either way, one of the best things you can do when learning how to stay focused while working at home is to make lists and schedules of the things you need to get done.
- Go Work Someplace Else: Have laptop, will travel. Once or twice a week get out of your house and go to a local bagel or coffee shop. Most of them have WiFi these days and you can log on and get some work done in an outside setting. When you are away from your home you are not thinking about your work chores around the house or other things that may distract you from the back of your mind. Surprisingly you may find you can focus and get a lot done from a different setting. Give it try once in a while.
- Avoid Isolation: Learning how to stay focused while working at home does mean shutting out the outside world and becoming a recluse. Set aside your time to work, but also make sure you set aside time to go do something to get out of the house and away from your work. Go to a movie in the afternoon, go for a walk in the park, hit the grocery store and buy some items for a special dinner you plan to cook later, or maybe eat out! Don’t get so focused on your work that you become a loner to your friends and family.
If you are already working at home and need to learn how to stay focused while working at home the information should help. If you are planning to start working from home I suggest to really put some thought into a few of the items above. In particular the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 6.
If you want to begin working for yourself at home but don’t know what to do or where to start check out my Wealthy Affiliate Review page.
Studies show that people starting jobs at home or working for an employer at home have a hard time focusing on the tasks they need to accomplish. Distractions at home are many.
If you have any tips on how to stay focused while working at home please share them below in the comments!